StoryCorps Connect is a new online platform using video conference technology where people can be in conversation remotely. FYI: this is still in development.
It’s web-based and allows users to record long-distance while on a video chat. You can use your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer. Just like the StoryCorps App, the interviews go into StoryCorps’ online archive and are preserved by the Library of Congress.
A few things to keep in mind:
- StoryCorps Connect allows two people users to join a conversation remotely, only 2 can join.
- Both users need to register for an account in order to login: https://archive.storycorps.org/
- You have a maximum of 40 minutes and once you hit the “record” button, you cannot pause it.
- While users can see each other when using Connect, video is not being preserved. The online archive stores audio only.
- Learn more by going to storycorps.org/connect where you can find info on getting started and recording tips.
- For a step-by-step of what it looks like to use, you can find that in their Help Center here.
- You will have access to the audio file when you are done to share and for your own use.
- The DVP may produce short blog posts and audio clips from stories submitted to StoryCorps.
After recording your story, here are a few things to remember before you upload it:
- Add the keyword “Disability Visibility Project” and any others such as “Stacey Park Milbern” or “Disability Justice”
- Add your story to the StoryCorps community page for the DVP: https://archive.storycorps.org/communities/disability-visibility-project-2/
- For more about how to add your story to a StoryCorps community: https://support.storycorps.me/hc/en-us/sections/115002804847-Communities