Call for Stories
The Disability Visibility Project (DVP) is super excited to partner with the Contemporary Jewish Museum for a listening party and panel discussion focusing on artists with disabilities on Sunday, September 25, 2016, 2 pm, San Francisco, CA. The event is free with advance registration. Check their calendar for event details, how to register, and information about accessibility/accommodations: http://www.thecjm.org/programs/lectures-and-gallery-talks/1100-artists-with-disabilities-stories-from-the-disability-visibility-project
The DVP would like to invite any disabled artist (e.g., actors, filmmakers,performers, comedians, poets, musicians, painters, writers, dancers, etc.) to record a story at StoryCorps with someone who knows them well.
Talk about anything, but feel free to consider these topics:
- Your work
- The creative process
- Intersections of your disability identity & identity as an artist
- Your relationship w/ the disability and arts communities (including their intersections)
- The power of art in your life
- Accessibility and ableism in the GLAM community (gallery, library, archives, museums)
How to Participate
StoryCorps San Francisco will reserve 1 day specifically for disabled artists in the SF Bay Area on Saturday, July 30, 2016. There are 6 appointments available:
11:00 am, 12:00 noon, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm
*Email Alice Wong no later than 7/18 (DisabilityVisibilityProject@gmail.com) with the following information:
- Time slot you want to reserve
- Your name (first/last), email address, phone, address
- Your interview partner’s information (same as above)
- If anyone is 18 or younger
- If you need a ramp to enter the recording booth
- If you will be speaking a language other than English
Each appointment will take approximately 40 minutes. For more on what’s involved and how to get there: http://storycorps.org/san-francisco/
*If you can’t make it on 7/30: You’re welcome to schedule an interview anytime at StoryCorps. Be sure to note in your online reservation for that your interview should be tagged for the DVP. Here are the details on how to participate: https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/how-to-participate/oral-histories-at-storycorps/
*If you live outside of the SF Bay Area: For Chicago and Atlanta folks, consider going to the StoryCorps in your city. Anyone can also use the StoryCorps app, just be sure to read these details on how to participate!
- If you need to cancel, you must email Alice as soon as possible by July 18th at the latest.
- First come, first serve. Availability not guaranteed.
- Your story may or may not be featured during the listening party on September 25th.
Many thanks to the Contemporary Jewish Museum and StoryCorps!!